jQuery('li a.icon').removeAttr('title');
Hey Family Ever After readers! I’m so excited to be guest posting today for Rachel! My name is Jill and  I blog over at I know the plans I have for you. I have always been crafty and have always liked to figure out how to make or do things (or RE-do things for that matter). But when I decided to start re-doing furniture I didn’t just go for a piece needing a paint job (which I had never done), I decided to reupholster a couple of chairs. Go big, right? I had no idea, at the time, how to do anything with furniture and it was a LEARNING EXPERIENCE! That experience also introduced me to my passion of refinishing furniture. It has made a huge difference in my life and has given me an outlet to keep a stay at home mom of 3 and a wife sane! Today I would like to show you how to reupholster a bench:

For this project I needed:
a bench (obvious, right?)
wood glue
jute webbing
1 yard of fabric
staple gun
hot glue gun
glue sticks

My mom gave me this bench a few weeks ago

and I was shocked that she would give up such a piece of awesomeness! Ok, so it was broken, and the fabric was a hideous green vinyl, and it was pretty uncomfortable. But look at those legs! The shape and size of the bench was amazing. At first I thought about just doing a quick “cover it up”, but I didn’t want to feel the buttons under the fabric.
I began by removing the dust cover

I used this staple remover to remove
the tacks….works awesome!

which revealed why the bench was so uncomfortable! Most of the rubber webbing had snapped!

Next I removed the trim and took off the fabric…

Since the fabric on this bench was put on with tacks, not staples, which is much easier to remove and went quickly. I used Elmer’s Wood Glue to reattached the piece of wood that had broken off years ago.

I waited a few hours for the glue to dry and then I painted using Annie  Sloan Old White. Once I was finished painting and sanding it was time to add some new webbing. Normally you would probably do all repairs first, but I had the paint already and didn’t have enough webbing. Also, since I was able to turn it upside down without messing up any paint (unlike a chair), the order didn’t matter. I went to Joann’s for the jute webbing and all they had was a little more than 2 yards so I  was just going to have to make it work. Ideally, you want to have enough to cover the bottom of the seat.  I was able to get by with what I had because not all of the original webbing was broken.

To attach the webbing, you begin in the center (going from side to side), stapling at one end and stretching the webbing taut to the other side and staple. Once you have attached the webbing going  one direction, begin weaving the webbing across the seat.

Since the rubber webbing in the center of the bench was still in tacked and I only had enough webbing for 2 long strips, I used the rubber webbing and started on the sides of it.

I wanted to use the original cushion that was on it (foam is SUPER expensive) because it was in good shape, and because this bench was staying with me, it didn’t bother me that there would be indentations from the buttons. If this is something that you come across, you can add on a thin piece of foam to give the seat a more square look (or in my case rectangle). I did add some batting by stapling it on as you would fabric.

 You want to make sure that you start in the middle of each side working your way towards the corners, and doing the corners last.
 Now it was time for the fabric.

I picked up this fabric a few months ago to use a different bench that I was making from a coffee table base. But I never finished that project. You know how that goes 😉 Lay the fabric over the bench and make sure that if you have a pattern in your fabric to pay attention to how that pattern is lined up. On mine it couldn’t be 100% perfect because of how the person at the fabric store cut it. I couldn’t center it just right because it didn’t leave me enough room to staple it down on both sides. But again, it’s just for me, so it’s just fine.

Starting in the middle (I always start in the front), staple down the fabric and then on the opposite side hold the fabric taut and staple down. Do this on all 4 sides leaving the corners for last. On this particular piece I just folded the corners like you would do a present. Cut off the excess with a razor and your almost done.

 I added a white, ruffled ribbon to cover the staples by simply hot gluing it on.

 And tada….a new bench!!

 This took me just an afternoon and because I had the fabric and the paint, and didn’t completely replace the webbing, this little beauty cost me just 7 buckaroos!

Before and after:

Thanks so much Rachel for letting me stop by and I hope that you guys have enjoyed this tutorial! I would love for you to come by I know the plans I have for you and look around!! I know how much inspiration I get from all of you great bloggers and I hope that you can find something to inspire you there!! Have a great weekend!!

Thanks for the great tutorial Jill!!!

Once upon a time…

I started a blog. This is a tale of my projects, goals, and dreams. Thank you for taking a moment to stop by. I hope you have a beautiful day.

xoxo, Rach H.